Sunday, November 20, 2011

Goals and Purposes of NMS

With this idea that one-sided argumentation against a perceived, often demonized opponent is the mainstay of modern popular thought, let's pursue a position of examining the issues that have been polarizing the nation and seek peaceable, rational dissertations with opportunities to gather about a commentary of ideas, counter-ideas, and proposals to the issues.  One viewpoint, whether it be political correctness (a regular consultant to the strawman argument) or symposiums of like-minded individuals weighing in on an issue, won't alleviate matters.  I believe in the idea of the "arena of ideas," where ideas meet to battle, demonstrating the soundness of an idea which shall live, or exposing the vacuousness of an opinion and allowing it to die and be done.

The first goal of this blog is pragmatic.  In instructing others to develop blog website, I should at least have the time to dabble in the craft.  Granted, this doesn't help solidify the rationale of No More Strawmen.  But I perceive the weblog as a sounding board, a forum of the many who are willing to share ideas and opinions, with the hopes of conviction of others.  Such should be the heritage of the world of the "cybernaut," those who frequents sites as this and offer thought to the matter under discussion.

I won't disillusion myself.  I cut my teeth in the articles and comments and blogs of the Christian Post.  Though my wishes were for irenic discussion, I often didn't find it.  Ad hominem arguments ranged from both sides of the issue.  As if we couldn't offer a give-and-take without fear of losing the point or finding our positions at a loss.  I never did, but felt the sting of those whose ideas could allow no  disagreement, as if lock-step was the dance of the poster.

My blog will attempt some level of dialog.  My future blogs will offer some insight on some political or theological (the latter my preference) matter.  The comment section that follows each blog is made for this style of dialog.  I only make two requests:
1) all responses, whether in support or in contradiction, should be offered as diplomatically as possible understanding that
2) I offer no definitive position, just a point to consider and  any offered insights are commentary to the issue.

It is to this end that true dialog, passionately given as dispassionately as possible, will be the hallmark of this blog, to all who find it, and all who care for understanding the view of the two, the opinions that run so contrary ... yet without vicious words, reprisals, and ill-feelings.

Image Detail

No comments:

Post a Comment